This page lists some software programs and programming topics that may be of interest to Hex players. The programs include AI opponents and tools for analysing completed games.
More complete or up-to-date information is welcome.
AI techniques used in Hex
Programs with AI
There are several computer programs which play Hex.
|MoHex||Linux||As of 2010, the strongest available Hex program. It uses the UCT-Monte Carlo approach and is developed at the University of Alberta by Philip Henderson, Broderick Arneson and Ryan Hayward.|
|Wolve||Linux||Gold medallist of 2008 Computer Olympiads.|
|Six||Linux, Unix, Windows||by Gábor Melis.|
|Hexy||Windows||The second strongest program available. It was the first program to use virtual connections and was champion of the 5th Computer Olympiad in 2000.|
|Hexy||iPhone||Despite using the same name, this program has no relation to Hexy. It was released in November 2008, offers an AI opponent; the AI appears to be a custom design and hasn't been rated.|
|Hexatious||iPad, iPhone||Released in August 2009, appears to offer a stronger AI than the iPhone Hexy app (in particular, Hexatious easily beats the other iPhone app in head-to-head competition).|
|Hex Nash||iPad, iPhone||Released February 2011, no AI but supports online asynchronous play and local play.|
|Hexilla||Java||By Jonatan Rydh, released in October 2009.|
- Mongoose by Yngvi Björnsson, Ryan Hayward, Mike Johanson, Morgan Kan, and Nathan Po.
- Queenbee by Jack van Rijswijck finished second that year.
Non playing programs
- HexGui is a graphical user interface designed by "ab", mostly used as a front end to play against Six. It is possible however to play against other programs that can communicate via GTP. It can be downloaded on "ab"'s web page.
Reviewing and Editing Programs
- JHex by Kevin lets you analyse a game, and databases of games.
- KHex by David King is a tool for reviewing games. Very well suited for sharing commented games (it exports games in Smart Game Format!)
- Anshelevich, Vadim V. A hierarchical approach to computer Hex.
- van Rijswijck, Jack. Search and evaluation in Hex.
- Rasmussen, Rune K. and Maire, Frederic D. and Hayward, Ross F. (2006) A Move Generating Algorithm for Hex Solvers.
- Rasmussen, Rune K. (2008) Algorithmic approaches for playing and solving Shannon games (PhD Thesis).