Six is a free Hex playing program running on Unix written by Gábor Melis. The currently offered version is 0.5.3. It has won ICGA Hex tournament in 2003, 2004 and 2006. Six is quite good against human beings too.
- It allows playing on boards of size 4 to 15.
- It offers 4 different skill levels (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert).
- Games as well as positions can be saved.
To play the AI:
- Put HexGui.jar and six_gtp_engine.exe in one directory
- Double-click on HexGui.jar (or use "java -jar HexGui.jar")
- File menu / attach / "six_gtp_engine.exe --level=0"
- F5 to make a computer move, or
- Game menu / Computer plays / "Black" or "White" or "Both"
While the computer is thinking about its move, which can take a while at expert level, you cannot access all the program functions. The two zip files full of source code are unnecessary to play.
Hexy is another Hex playing program. Hexy runs on Microsoft Windows.
8 games between Six and Mongoose in the 8th Computer Olympiad in Graz (2003).